Displaced Person Book Review Summary

Detailed plot synopsis reviews of Displaced Person

Graeme Dury is an ordinary teenager, that is until the day that people start to ignore him. At first he thinks nothing of it but when the world begins to take a grey tinge and people miss him when he is in the room Graeme realises that the problem is very real. He has slipped into a kind of limbo in between worlds where he can see what's goin on but the world is grey and silent and he is invisible. But he is not completely alone as he discovers Jamie and Marion, two others caught in this land of limbo. Together they try to work out what is going on with their world and what will happen when the darkness comes to take over from the grey.
The review of this Book prepared by Neil Morey

Peter A. on 11/20/2015 4:30:11 PM says: I just recently re-read 'Displaced Person', and it is still, in spite of all that has been said and done in the world of science fiction since this novel was first published, one of the most thought-provoking and original stories I have ever come across.

Having myself once been a teenager who, in spite of my best efforts to do so, could never quite fit in to the world we all take for granted as being real, I could relate to the characters in a way that most people who have never been socially isolated and excluded probably could not, and for this reason (among many others) I found the situation the central characters found themselves to be in to be quite convincing and plausible. The (largely unchallenged) assumption that most of us naturally accept, that what we consider to be objective reality actually is the way we experience it, is exposed within this novel to be just that - a mere assumption, a philosophical prejudice that is based upon lazy and careless reasoning. At the end of the story one is left with so many unanswered questions, that had the author chosen to do so, he could have quite easily written a very thick sequel. Thankfully, he chose not to, because in the world of fiction some questions are better left unanswered, with mysteries unresolved, a lesson that so many authors of fiction these days seem to have forgotten (if they ever knew it in the first place).

What did I like about this book? Everything. What did I hate? Nothing at all. Even the brevity of it, which many may see as a point against, worked in its favour as far as I was concerned, for it largely eliminted much of the endless and pointless waffle that so many stories that are thick enough to use as a doorstop like to indulge in. For anyone who is interested in philosophical speculation about the ultimate nature of reality, as I am, I could not recommend a better work of fiction that touches upon such issues to read.

Ten out of ten!

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Chapter Analysis of Displaced Person

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Composition of Book planning/preparing, gather info, debate puzzles/motives 60%Feelings, relationships, character bio/development 20%Descript. of society, phenomena (tech), places 20% Tone of book    -   suspenseful (sophisticated fear) FANTASY or SCIENCE FICTION?    -   science fiction story Explore/1st contact/ enviro story    -   Yes Explore:    -   dimension travel--general Is this an adult or child's book?    -   Adult or Young Adult Book

Main Character

Identity:    -   Male Profession/status:    -   student Age:    -   a teen

Earth setting:    -   current (early 21st century) Takes place on Earth?    -   Yes

Writing Style

Accounts of torture and death?    -   no torture/death scientific jargon? (SF only)    -   none/very little science jargon needed Sex in book?    -   Yes What kind of sex:    -   vague references only How much dialogue?    -   little dialog

Books with storylines, themes & endings like Displaced Person

Lee Harding Books Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).