Allreaders.com

Flags of our Fathers Book Review Summary

Detailed Plot Synopsis of Flags of our Fathers

Flags of our Fathers follows the story of the six soldiers who raised the flag in the famous photo from Iwo Jima. The men and their family backgrounds are introduced. They go through basic training and are then sent to Iwo Jima.

The invasion and battle of Iwo Jima is a turning point in the men's life. 2 of them do not make it off the island alive. They fight fierce Japanese resistance until, after approx. 36 days, they conquer the island, killing 20,000 Japanese in the process.

Once the survivors and back home, they are used, along with the famous picture, to raise money for war bonds. They deal with emotional and physical issues after the war.
This report prepared by Andrew Pickle

Six young marines from all over the United States are brought together to fight on the island of Iwo Jima of Japan in World War II. Surviving the hardships of land battle and the cruelties of the enemy, they live long enough to raise the flag on top of the mountain in Iwo Jima. The image of that flag-raising becomes one of the most reproduced pictures ever. Told by the son of one of the flag-raisers, Flags of our Fathers tells of the stories of each young man, how he got to Iwo Jima, and what happened to him after.
This report prepared by Cindy

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Chapter Analysis of Flags of our Fathers

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Kind Of History

Time of history:    -   1940's    -   20th century History of military?    -   Yes Armed Forces:    -   Army    -   Navy    -   Marines History of a people?    -   Yes Nationality?    -   American--General Specific war?    -   World War II

Subjects of this Historical Account

Ethnicity (if plays a major part)    -   European/White Is the portrayal sympathetic?    -   Sympathetic    -   Somewhat sympathetic From a certain profession/group?    -   land soldiers Intelligence of subject of history:    -   Smart

Setting

United States    -   Yes The US:    -   Southeast    -   Texas    -   West    -   Northeast    -   Midwest    -   Hawaii Asia/Pacific    -   Yes Asian country:    -   Japan    -   Pacific Islands If applicable, liberal/conservative?    -   Historian is very moderate

Writing Style

How much gore?    -   4 () How fast-paced is the book?    -   5 () Accounts of torture and death?    -   moderately detailed references to deaths    -   very explicit references to deaths and torture Book makes you feel...    -   thoughtful How much focus on stories of individuals?    -   Focuses mostly on history of key players How much romance?    -   2 () Minor characters feature lots of:    -   military Is this a kid's book?    -   Ages 16-Adult Pictures/Illustrations?    -   One or two    -   A handful Maps necessary?    -   Necessary maps provided Length of book    -   250-300 pages    -   300-350 pages How much emphasis on small details?    -   6 ()

Books with storylines, themes & endings like Flags of our Fathers

James Bradley Books Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or