Allreaders.com

Lot of My Sister Book Review Summary

Detailed plot synopsis reviews of Lot of My Sister

I remember little treasure chest books from my childhood. Their pages were always tattered because they were a comfort in my quiet moments. Their covers were scraped and buffed like well worn shoes by other toys and books because they were companions to so many of my activities.

Alison Stine's Lot Of My Sister is much the same sort of book--it is new but already well-read and well-used. There are notes in the margins and lovely little snippets of words stored away in my memory. It was a comfort in these days of September, 2001.

A slender chapbook, it is clothed in a cover that is a delight to touch and not so brilliantly colored that one will expect exlosions within its covers. This is a book of poetry, after all, and one comes to it expecting a different kind of experience.

By any standard, this is a lovely book of poetry but it most touching when Stine describes the special sounds of being deaf. When she touches on this aspect of her own life, the poems become close and personal.

Consider this:

From "Blood Music:"

"my ear hammer beating, dull and tuneless at the velvet-shoed end of a broken piano key, still pounding, intent, as though it makes a difference."

From "Vincent's Ear:"

"I felt Van Gogh and I were soul mates. I would have given him my good ear."

From "Fields Beyond Fields:"

"...one hand memorized the closed mouths of lockers..."

This slim volume is also full of moments when we share other bits of humanity with the author:

"...the swallow of our morning cups."

and the image of a cancer survivor:

"eyelashes like tea leaves in her morning cup?"

Lot Of My Sister is a little books that offers twenty-five pages for twenty-five moments of respite--moments that anyone can "work in" to their schedule and so enrich their lives.
The review of this Book prepared by Carolyn Howard-Johnson

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Get your copy of the book

Chapter Analysis of Lot of My Sister

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Time/era of story    -   2000+ (Present Day) Internal struggle/realization?    -   Yes Struggle over    -   vague finding self/purpose in life (i.e. no plot to book) Is this an adult or child's book?    -   Adult or Young Adult Book Brain/Body disability?    -   physical disability

Main Character

Gender    -   Female Profession/status:    -   artist Age:    -   20's-30's

Writing Style

Sex in book?    -   Yes

Books with storylines, themes & endings like Lot of My Sister

Alison Stine Books Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or