John Steinbeck Message Board
Augusto posts on 9/11/2005 11:10:23 PM
George wouldn't have shot Lennie if it weren't because he strangled the woman the previous scenes. Steinbeck is a master.
shaleen posts on 9/11/2005 3:46:53 AM
do you think george would have shot lennie if curley had not been involved?
Anonymous posts on 8/15/2005 3:51:02 PM
I need info on john steinbeck by wedsday.
Rickads posts on 5/19/2005 1:33:01 PM
I hate Blacks and I think they should all die and rot in h e l l cause Blacks stink I would know cause I have 12 hanging in my front yard and D A M do they stink I say we ship all of those turds back to africa blacks DIE
Don posts on 4/17/2005 5:12:18 PM
The best answer for the parent wanting to help her daughter with the essay is less to do with Steinbeck and all to do with appropriate help:
1) have confidence in your daughter's teacher; if the kid has questions, then have your daughter engage the teacher in a conference that will work toward your daughter's understanding of this assignment.
2) In order for you to have time to complete number one, your daughter will need to do her work before "the last minute"; this means that she needs to preview the assignment and consider what she really does or does not know.
3) as for the parent, the "help" you are "giving" your daughter now is simply not help at all. True learning is not a parent on the internet trying to wrangle answers out of academics for a jr. high or high school disservice. I know you are not alone, but you should really consider how you are undermining the learning experience for your daughter and every other student this teacher teaches AND has taught.
Shalom posts on 4/17/2005 9:22:30 AM
I've just completed Cannery Row & came away confused about several elements:
- The chinaman and the single-eye vision he induces in Andy. Does this somehow relate to Lee's suspension between esoteric and profane matters?
- Doc's never-to-be forgotten vision of the drowned girl -- is this merely an event in the actual life of Ed Ricketts, or is there more? Is it connected to Doc's repeated recitation of "Black Marigolds"?
- Henri's dream of the baby killing -- what's that about?
- Mary's kitty parties -- connection to anything else?
Thanx - glad to hear any ideas!
josephine posts on 4/14/2005 4:51:46 AM
i need to know why is juan tomas afraid for his brother Kino in chapter for after Kino tried to sell his pearl.
Diane Self posts on 4/11/2005 1:03:03 PM
My daughter (a freshman in high school) has to present 6 examples of naturalistic verbal photography from Steinbeck's novel, The Pearl. I am not sure that I even know what this is. I assume that means to look for descriptive passages that "paint a picture with words." What I really don't know is, "What is naturalistic?" Can this be descriptions about people? If any one can suggest specific passages, I would be very grateful.
Anonymous posts on 4/5/2005 6:16:42 PM
What would people say if Kino's plan worked? What would they say if it failed?
AirGuitar posts on 3/23/2005 7:50:13 PM
OMG!!! How can you criticize The Pearl?!? *sigh* apparently y'all just don't "get it".
Click Here for Messages:
1 - 10
11 - 20
21 - 30
31 - 40
41 - 50
51 - 60
Note: the views expressed here are only those of the posters.