Allreaders.com

My Girl Movie Review Summary

Actors: Anna Chlumsky, Macaulay Culkin, Dan Aykroyd

Detailed plot synopsis reviews of My Girl

Vada Sultenfuss is an 11 year old girl living with her undertaker father and a dementia stricken grandmother, in Madison Pennsylvania. The movie mostly centers around the tomboysish Vada, during the summer of 1972, and her best friend, a boy named Thomas Jay Sennett. Vada's home is a huge mansion like place that also doubles as the town's funeral home. Vada's mother is dead, so her Father Harry, takes care of her and seems to be unprepared for her blossoming womanhood. Along comes Shelly De Voto, who answers an ad that Harry put in the local paper, looking for a cosmetician for the funeral home.

As Harry and Shelly grow closer and eventually start to date and become engaged, Vada is not happy with this situation at all, as she has become accustomed to being alone with her father and grandma , so the customary jealousy and resentment for her soon to be Step mother sets in. Vada also seems to have an unhealty fixation with death and disease, and thinks that every little cough or ache is her curtain call.

Vada spends a lot of time with her little friend, Thomas Jay, and begins to wonder what it would be like if they were more than friends and what their first kiss would be like. they share their first kiss under a tree near a pond.

Shelly eventually wins over Vada's love and Vada comes to accept Shelly as a part of the family after they share a heart to heart talk, following a tragic event in Vada's life.
The review of this Movie prepared by Stephanie Shock

Little boy and little girl in love. Little boy bites the dust.
The review of this Movie prepared by Mimi Mac

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Script Analysis of My Girl

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Time/era of movie:    -   1980's-1999    -   1960's-1970's Kids growing up/acting up?    -   Yes Inner struggle or disability    -   Yes Parent(s) gone?    -   Momma gone Sexing?    -   girl chasing Coping with loss of loved one?    -   Yes Coping with loss of    -   Close platonic friend

Main Character

Identity:    -   Female Age:    -   a kid Ethnicity/Nationality    -   White American

Setting

United States    -   Yes The US:    -   Northeast Small town?    -   Yes Small town people:    -   nice, like Andy/Opie/Aunt Bee Misc setting    -   fancy mansion

Writing Style

Accounts of torture and death?    -   moderately detailed references to deaths Sex/nudity in movie?    -   Yes What kind of sex:    -   vague references only    -   kissing Any profanity?    -   Occasional swearing If this is a kid's movie...    -   Ages 10-15

Movies with storylines, themes & endings like My Girl

My Girl Message Board (click here)
Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or