Allreaders.com

The Libertine Movie Review Summary

Actors: John Malkovich, Johnny Depp, Samantha Morton, Rosamund Pike, Tom Hollander

Detailed plot synopsis reviews of The Libertine

This movie “The Libertine” is loosely based on the adventures of John Wilmot (1647-1680) the second Earl of Rochester, in London of the 17th century. The Earl of Rochester assures us that we will not like him, “You will not like me now, and you will like me a good deal less as we go on”. These are the opening words of Stephen Jeffreys' "The Libertine,"
Click here to see the rest of this review

"The Libertine," a movie by Laurence Dunmore and this movie is based on Jeffreys' play, that play was opened in 1994 at the Royal Court in London and was brought to Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre with actor John Malkovich as Rochester but in this movie John Malkovich plays Charles, and Rochester is played by Johnny Depp.

John is romantically involved with a young actress named Elizabeth Barry, and he writes an insulting play which ridicules the monarch who commissioned it Charles II, leading to the Earl's banishment and eventual downfall. This movie is rated R for strong sexuality including dialogue, violence and language. Filming locations includes United Kingdom, Ireland, Isle of Man and this movie is produced in United Kingdom.
The review of this Movie prepared by Faiza Iqtidar

Script Analysis of The Libertine

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Time/era of movie:    -   1960's-1970's Job/Profession/Poverty Story?    -   Yes Job:    -   filmmaker/producer How much humor v. drama    -   More drama than serious humor

Main Character

Identity:    -   Male Profession/status:    -   politician/elected ruler Age:    -   20's-30's Ethnicity/Nationality    -   White American

Setting

The Americas (not US):    -   Yes Misc setting    -   castle

Writing Style

Accounts of torture and death?    -   moderately detailed references to deaths Any profanity?    -   Occasional swearing Is this movie based on a    -   play

Movies with storylines, themes & endings like The Libertine

The Libertine Message Board (click here)
Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or