Allreaders.com

My Side of the Mountain Book Review Summary

Detailed Plot Synopsis of My Side of the Mountain

Sam Gribley left his family's crowded New York City apartment and for his great-grandfather's long unused hill farm, deep in the Catskill Mountains.

This is the story of Sam's survival and maturation during that long and wonderful year alone in the mountains. We meet Sam's peregrine falcon, Frightful, who has known only Sam as a parent figure since he captured her from her nest. Through his journal, Sam introduces us to Jesse Coon James and Baron Weasel, and his other wild animals friends. Sam steers clear of most people, except for visits from the mysterious Bando and trips to the local library to read up on roughing it.

Learn how Sam makes a home in the giant hollowed-out hemlock tree, hunts with Frightful for meat, and discovers the delicious, and not-so-delicious wild plants that keep him alive during his adventure.

Best of all, the last page of this book is not the end of the story! Jean Craighead George has given us two sequels: ON THE FAR SIDE OF THE MOUNTAIN (1990) and FRIGHTFUL'S MOUNTAIN (1999).

You may not believe it, but this Newbery Honor Book was first published 40 years ago in 1959. This is one survival adventure that is as timely now as it was then.
This report prepared by Jeff Geddes

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Chapter Analysis of My Side of the Mountain

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Tone of book?    -   thoughtful Time/era of story    -   1980's-1999 Is this an adult or child's book?    -   Age 11-14 Exploring into the wild    -   Yes kind of story    -   surviving natural elements

Main Character

Gender    -   Male Profession/status:    -   student Age:    -   a teen Ethnicity/Nationality    -   White (American) Unusual characteristics:    -   Genius

Setting

How much descriptions of surroundings?    -   10 () Forest?    -   Yes

Writing Style

Amount of dialog    -   roughly even amounts of descript and dialog

Books with storylines, themes & endings like My Side of the Mountain

Jean Craighead George Books Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or