Allreaders.com

Tunes For Bears to Dance To Book Review Summary

Detailed plot synopsis reviews of Tunes For Bears to Dance To

Henry and his parents move to a new town after the death of Eddie, Henry's older brother. Henry befriends an old man, Mr. Levine, who had survived the Holocaust. Mr Levine spends most of his time in an arts center recreating his lost family and town out of wood. Henry joins him there often, to escape the silence at home caused by grief over Eddie's death. Mr. Hairston, Henry's ill-mannered employer, offers Henry a gravestone for Eddie (which Henry most deeply wanted) in exchange for destroying Mr. Levine's award-winning wooden village.
The review of this Book prepared by Cassandra

Robert Cormier, celebrated writer of mordant books for "young adults" (_I Am the Cheese_, _The Chocolate War_) published this one late in his career. Not long after the Second World War, eleven-year-old Henry works at Mr. Hairston's grocery store and makes friends with a Holocaust survivor named Mr. Levine, who spends all his time building and whittling a replica of his childhood village. In exercising his considerable power over the boy and demanding an impossible task, Mr. Hairston confronts Henry with the nature of human evil. This compact story can be read in less than an hour, but packs a quiet wallop.
The review of this Book prepared by David Loftus

Rebecca on 1/11/2015 11:33:40 AM says: I liked this book a lot, it told a really good story. At the beginning it didn't really move that fast but that is how expositions usually are. Once the rising action begun the book was fascinating. From that point on In was stuck to the book. My class was reading and I read it two more times afterword's. I completely recommend this book to most kids 10 and up. (Even Adults) Don't let this book pass you by. I give it Five Stars!!!!

Please enter the number 42 plus two in the right box.

Chapter Analysis of Tunes For Bears to Dance To

Click on a plot link to find similar books!

Plot & Themes

Tone of book?    -   depressed Time/era of story    -   1930's-1950's Kids growing up/acting up?    -   Yes Internal struggle/realization?    -   Yes Struggle over    -   vague finding self/purpose in life (i.e. no plot to book) Is this an adult or child's book?    -   Adult or Young Adult Book Coping with loss of loved one(s)    -   Yes Loss of...    -   brother/sisters Age group of kid(s) in story:    -   grade school Something wrong upstairs/downstairs?    -   searching for identity/meaning

Main Character

Gender    -   Male Profession/status:    -   student Age:    -   a kid Ethnicity/Nationality    -   White (American)

Setting

How much descriptions of surroundings?    -   2 () United States    -   Yes The US:    -   Northeast Small town?    -   Yes

Writing Style

Amount of dialog    -   significantly more descript than dialog    -   little dialog

Books with storylines, themes & endings like Tunes For Bears to Dance To

Robert Cormier Books Note: the views expressed here are only those of the reviewer(s).
Or